From many moms, I have learned how difficult it is to get kids to eat their veggies. I thought a great idea would be to combine zucchini with cheese, making for a delicious way to introduce this vegetable to children using familiar flavors. This is what you will need:
Zucchini and Cheese Kid-Friendly Recipe
- 3 fresh zucchinis, cut in cubes
- ½ cup of chopped white onion
- 1 spoon of butter or margarine
- 1 cup of crème fresh or sour cream
- Salt and pepper or “cubitos de pollo” (chicken stock base in cubes)
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (suggest Monterrey Jack/Cheddar combination)
- You will need a sautéing pan with a lid and a wooden spoon.
- Sauté onions with the butter.
- Add the zucchini and let it cook for 5 minutes – don’t cook it too long as you want the veggies to be crunchy.
- Add the crème fresh and the seasonings; combine well.
- Top with cheese and cover for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This is a delicious and inexpensive way to introduce your children to zucchini; it’s also super quick! You can serve this recipe as a soup, side dish to a main course, or eat as an entrée. This is a great option for dinner or a quick lunch. If you want to reduce the calories, replace the crème fresh with Greek yogurt, the butter with olive oil, and the cheese with a low-fat option.
All photos copyright and courtesy of Adriana Martin.