As Labor Day approaches, you may be looking for a fun or different recipe to make for any Labor Day parties you’re attending or perhaps just to add to your grilled meal. Though I’m sure you’re familiar with a variety of macaroni salad recipes, today I’m going to share my mami’s recipe with you! Her Puerto Rican style macaroni salad recipe is simple, blending familiar flavors in a unique way to create a delicious macaroni salad I’m sure you’ll love! It’s also easy to make and great for making ahead of time before a get-together! Ready to give this Puerto Rican macaroni salad recipe a try? Check out the recipe below, using ingredients you can purchase during your next grocery shopping trip at your local Walmart.
Puerto Rican Style Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1 16 oz box of elbow macaroni pasta
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 9-10 green Spanish salad olives, diced – plus 1/2 tsp of the liquid
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 carrot, rinsed and shredded
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, adding macaroni, once boiling.
- Cook macaroni to package directions (until al dente) and strain under running cold water. This will help stop the pasta from cooking further, so it won’t get too soft.
- Add macaroni back to pot. Stir in olive oil.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. Add more salt, if necessary, to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I hope you have a wonderful Labor Day holiday! Whether you’ll be out taking advantage of some of the Labor Day sales, or simply relaxing at home, here are plenty of ideas for celebrating this Labor Day weekend!
- Lemony Basil Orzo Pasta Salad
- How To Plan An Easy Labor Day Picnic
- Salami Chopped Salad
- Frozen Berry Lemonade
- Jack Daniel’s Smoked and Grilled Burgers
- Mac-N-Cheese Deep Fried Bites
- Creamy Chicken Artichoke Casserole
- DIY Patriotic Frames
- Red, White and Blue Burlap Bandana Wreath
- Red, White & Blue Angel Fluff
- Key Lime Pie
- Mango Chicken Skewers
- Patriotic Paper Petal Wreath
- Simple Summer Side Dishes
- Easy Labor Day Chips and Dips
Do you think you’ll be trying this Puerto Rican style macaroni salad for your Labor Day festivities this weekend? Let me know in the comments below how you and your family like it!
All photos © Melanie Edwards/modernmami™