As we near the Fourth of July holiday weekend, I’m guessing you’re looking for fun red, white, and blue treats to make with the kids! Allowing your kids in the kitchen and letting them help cook or bake is always a great experience. That’s why taking advantage of holidays and special occasions is the perfect time for kids to be in the kitchen!
We love simple recipes at our home, so for a fun 4th of July treat, the kids and I made easy red, white, and blue chocolate chip cookies! My baby boy loves chocolate chip cookies and he also loves M&M candies, so combining the two seemed like the right thing to do. By finding red, white, and blue M&Ms in the seasonal aisle of our local Walmart, we made delicious patriotic cookies in honor of 4th of July! Check out how we went ahead and took that up a notch with a bit of whipped cream!
Patriotic Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 1/4 cups butter, slightly softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12 oz. bag semi-sweet morsels
- 1 cup red, white, and blue M&M’s candies (you could also just use red and blue M&M’s from the regular pack)
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, mix butter, shortening, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until thoroughly incorporated.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in chocolate chips and M&M’s and again, mix with spoon.
- On ungreased cookie sheet (I like using Reynolds Cookie Baking Sheets), drop dough using a small ice cream scoop, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10 to 11 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Remove cookies from cookie sheet and let cool before eating!
- You can eat as-is, or for an extra-fun treat, add some whipped cream between two cookies to create a patriotic cookie sandwich your kids are sure to love!
There are plenty of great 4th of July recipes and ideas on Walmart.com and at your local Walmart for celebrating Independence Day with the kids, so be sure to explore and see what your family will enjoy. You’re sure to find the perfect recipe to bring to your Fourth of July cookout this weekend!
You Might Also Like: 3 Super Easy Kid-Friendly Fourth of July Food Ideas
What’s one of your family’s favorite 4th of July treats?
All photos © Melanie Edwards/modernmami™