When deciding what’s for dinner, I do my best to follow a meal plan. The majority of the time, I cook simple recipes that don’t take a long time to cook and I love to use short cuts. Easy recipes are my favorite because they allow me to serve home-cooked meals to my family, without sacrificing all my time in the kitchen.
One side dish I love to make is mashed potatoes. While boxed mashed potatoes are really convenient, homemade mashed potatoes are ten times better, don’t you think? I know that boiling potatoes takes a while and can be a bit messy, which is why I skip that step and instead steam my potatoes in the microwave before mashing them. Now that’s a time-saver and a shortcut I love! Want to give it a try for yourself? Try this super easy 3-step recipe for cheesy mashed potatoes that I know your family will love!
3-Step Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
How to Make Mashed Potatoes without Boiling
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled, cubed, and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups milk
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- shredded cheese, to your liking
- Place cubed potatoes in a microwave steam cooking bag and steam according to directions. I usually fill up the bag and steam the potatoes for 7-8 minutes, but adjust the time depending on how full the bag is and what the directions suggest.
- Pour steamed potatoes into a large bowl. They will be tender when poked with a fork.
- Add butter, milk, salt, pepper, and cheese. Mash potatoes until mixed well. If necessary, add more salt, pepper, and/or cheese, accordingly, to your taste and desired cheesiness.
How often do you make homemade mashed potatoes for dinner? Have you ever tried using microwave steam cooking bags in your cooking?