I spent most of my time offline this weekend. I did check in on email and some social media accounts periodically, but didn’t really do too much. I think I tweeted once during the last two days and answered a total of two emails. And no actual “work” was completed – no blog post drafts, no client work – nothing.
This got me thinking, do the majority of people take the weekend “off” or do they work? I know for those who hold traditional 9-5 jobs, they take the weekend off – for the most part. But for those who are freelancers, bloggers, or work from home in some other capacity, it seems like we’re always working. Even if we’re just keeping up with networking and marketing ourselves through social media, we’re always “on” and rarely unplug.
I have yet to decide which I prefer – keeping up with work over the weekend or unplugging and keeping work for the weekdays. Each have their benefits, don’t you think?
Benefits of Working on the Weekend
- Can keep up with time-sensitive events.
- Get a head start on work for the next week.
- Keep ideas going for projects you’re working on.
Benefits of Unplugging on the Weekend
- Can fully dedicate yourself to your family.
- Provides you with a mental rest so you can rejuvenate yourself.
- Able to have fun and do those activities you can’t get to during the work week.
I’d like to hear what you think. What do you see as the benefits for one or the other? Which do you prefer to do on the weekends?