We are most definitely a digitally-enhanced household. My kids are super lucky to be digitally literate and have access to technology at an early age. We are truly blessed in this department; because of that, we also take into account how much screen time they have on a daily basis and try our best to encourage them to use their digital time for educational purposes. We don’t blatantly say so, we simply provide them with educational apps, websites, and ideas for integrating technology into their everyday learning. It helps that both my husband and I are fairly digitally literate people and that my husband has a creative background – the two combined makes for one fun household!
Recently, a new device entered our household thanks to the folks at ASUS – the ASUS MeMO Pad 8, a new 8 inch Intel-based tablet. The MeMO Pad 8 sells for $199 on Amazon.com (affiliate link), weighs less than a pound, and features a 5 MP rear camera with 1080p video. I’ll let you know more details about other features of the ASUS MeMO Pad 8, what I particularly liked about it, and ideas for ways kids can use it for educational purposes. Plus, keep reading because I’ll be giving away an ASUS MeMO Pad 7 to one lucky reader!
The ASUS MeMO Pad 8 is driven by a quad-core Intel Atom processor and has 16GB of storage. Other features include Bluetooth capabilities, GPS, expandable storage via a microSD card, rear and front-facing camera, and a 9-hour battery life. (Note: I was unable to test out the full extent of the battery.) It’s one thing to read the specs of a device, but another to hear what a person likes first-hand. Let me share 5 things I especially liked about the ASUS MeMO Pad 8 that I think you will too!
5 Things to Love About the ASUS MeMO Pad 8
- It’s easy to carry. The small size of the ASUS MeMO Pad 8 means it’s very portable. You can easily take it with you pretty much anywhere you go – carry it in your purse, a tote bag, even slide it in a kids’ backpack – all without feeling extra weight due to it being under a pound.
- It has extra storage. The microSD card slot provides extra storage up to 64GB and allows for portability, so you can take your files with you to and from the ASUS MeMO Pad 8 and other devices.
- It’s Android based. That means I was able to easily sync my Google account and instantly access all Google products to see my calendar, Gmail, etc.
- It has fun camera features. The camera includes quite a few standard editing features, but also has fun options such as Smart remove, All smiles, and GIF animation.
- It’s great for kids. Because it’s small, lightweight, and easy-to-use, it’s a great tablet for kids. You won’t feel bad letting them borrow it to read an e-book, play educational (or just-for-fun) games, watch videos, or do research.
Speaking of kids…as I mentioned, there are many ways kids can use tablets for education. From educational apps, to simply integrating technology into learning, tablets can be a useful learning tool. Here are just a few ideas to get you started thinking about ways your kids could use the ASUS MeMO Pad in educational ways!
5 Ways Kids Can Use the ASUS MeMO Pad for Education
- Learn Spanish (or another language) – Using apps and online games, kids can use tablets for learning other languages or practicing their bilingual skills.
- Storytelling – Using photo apps or storytelling apps, kids can easily put together digital books to practice their storytelling skills and integrate technology with literacy.
- Video book reports – Your child could easily record a video book report to share his or her thoughts on the latest book read. This would surely be a fun occasional alternative to the written book report or could simply be an enhancement to the traditional book report.
- Use variety of apps for reading, math, or just-for-fun – There are an endless amount of kids’ apps available for download, and though some are better than others, many are great for literacy, math, and creativity. Others are really just fun games!
- Create stop motion videos – Using the camera and available stop motion apps, your child is sure to have a lot of fun creating stop motion videos!
ASUS MeMO Pad 7 Giveaway
We want you and your family to have fun this summer (and beyond) learning, and taking advantage of technology, so we’ll be providing one of you with an ASUS MeMO Pad 7! The ASUS MeMO Pad 7 is very similar to the ASUS MeMO Pad 8 we received, but is a 7-inch tablet, selling for $149 on Amazon.com (affiliate link). To compare the two tablets and find out more about all ASUS tablets, visit the ASUS site. See full giveaway details below.
How to Enter
Required entry: If you’d like to enter this giveaway for an ASUS MeMO Pad 7, simply leave a comment sharing how you or your kids might use the ASUS MeMO Pad 7 for summer fun or summer learning this summer!
Extra entries (optional):
Each of the following will count as 1 extra entry. You’ll need to leave a separate comment for each entry.
- Follow @modernmami on Twitter and leave a comment with your Twitter name saying you followed.
- Tweet the following (1 time only) and leave a comment with the link of the tweet: Keep #SummerLearning alive! Enter to #win @ASUSUSA MeMO Pad 7 from #modernmami! http://bit.ly/asusmemopadgv #giveaway Ends 7/11! #edtech
- Follow modernmami on Instagram and leave a comment with your Instagram name saying you followed.
- Follow modernmami on Pinterest and leave a comment with your Pinterest name saying you followed.
- Join the modernmami Facebook community and leave a comment on this blog post saying you liked the modernmami page.
- Receive post updates by subscribing to our RSS feed. You can do so either via email or through a RSS reader. Leave a comment saying you did so or are already a subscriber.
- Write a blog post on your own blog sharing the details of this giveaway. Be sure to include a link back to this post. Leave a comment with your post link.
All entries must be in by Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:59 pm EST. You must be 18 or older and a U.S. resident. No purchase necessary. Remember to leave a separate comment for each entry. The winner will be chosen using Random.org and will be notified via email. (Please be sure to provide a valid email address with your entry.) Winner will have 24 hours to respond and claim prize, otherwise a new winner will be chosen. Prize will be provided and fulfilled by giveaway sponsor and modernmami™.com is not responsible for lost or damaged goods.
Disclosure: Our family received a complimentary ASUS MeMO Pad 8 in order to facilitate this review and post. No monetary compensation received. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Affiliate links were used in this post.
Product photos courtesy of ASUS