Preparing delicious summer meals for your family can be extremely easy. During a recent social media event sponsored by Unilever’s Vive Mejor, there were plenty of examples of how to make the most out of summer fruits and vegetables. Celebrity chef, author and Real Housewife of Miami Ana Quincoces shared some of her favorite tips. Her main goal? “Try to simplify and get out of the kitchen as quickly as possible,” said this talented mami.
Easy Summer Cooking Tips
- Stop thinking the grill is men’s territory. If an outdoor grill intimidates you or you live in an apartment, just use an indoor grill. “Grilling is no different than regular cooking,” explained Ana.
- Grill fruit for an unexpected burst of flavor. Ana Quincoces particularly enjoys grilling peaches and pineapple.
- Add a sweet touch to savory dishes. “Especially in the summer, I like mixing in fruits into your savory dishes,” says Ana. For example, add grilled peaches to your chicken skewers or fresh strawberries, nuts and goat cheese to your usual salad.
- Cook delicious chicken and fish by basting them in mayonnaise before adding herbs and grilling or baking. Aside from adding flavor, the mayo keeps the protein juicy.
- Fill your plate with different colors. Use fresh veggies to brighten up your plate. “I love the idea of going to the farmer’s market and just cooking with whatever’s fresh,” said Ana.
- Get everybody involved. Ana’s own daughters learned over the years to cook and now surprise their own friends. “Put everybody to work! And when kids see what they put in their food, they are more likely to try new things.”
More Ideas for Simplifying Meal Prep
If you’re looking for more great ideas to simplify meal prep during the summer, you can visit the Vive Mejor newly relaunched website, which has many recipes to help you cook yummy meals for your family.
Jeannette Kaplun is a Latina mom, journalist, TV personality and founder of Hispana Global, a bilingual site for women who want to look, feel and do their best. She previously founded Todobebé, has spent over a decade blogging and hosted several parenting and family TV shows. Follow her on Twitter @jeannettekaplun or on Facebook.
Photos: Jeannette Kaplun and Vive Mejor.