In just a couple of days, many of us will be celebrating Thanksgiving with loved ones, enjoying wonderful food as we give thanks for all we have. I know that pumpkin and sweet potato pies are popular Thanksgiving desserts, but since our family isn’t a big fan of either, I thought I’d try something a little different this year. I still used a traditional Thanksgiving flavor, but took an element of my Puerto Rican culture to create a delicious Latin-inspired Thanksgiving dessert! This is how cranberry apple pastelitos were born – and let me tell you, they are so tasty! Check out how easy it is to make this 5-ingredient cranberry apple dessert, so you can add it to your Thanksgiving menu and make that last-minute trip to your local Walmart!
Cranberry Apple Pastelitos Recipe (5-Ingredient Puff Pastry Dessert)
- 1 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 6 Tbsp Splenda (or sugar)
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced (I used Honeycrisp.)
- Puff Pastry sheets (2), thawed according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I love using Reynolds Cookie Baking Sheets!
- Make a quick cranberry sauce by boiling the cranberries in a medium pot, with the water and sugar. (Bring to a rolling boil, then bring heat to low-medium and boil for about 10 more minutes.)
- Lay one puff pastry sheet on the cookie sheet.
- Layer apple slices on the puff pastry sheet, then spread cranberry sauce on top.
- Place the remaining puff pastry sheet on top.
- Cut into 9 squares, following the natural segments of the puff pastry sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy warm or let pastelitos cool down before devouring!
Seriously. How yummy does that sound? This easy cranberry apple dessert is perfect for Thanksgiving dinner, but also great for using up leftover cranberry sauce! Traditional pastelitos de guayaba will always be my favorite, but these cranberry apple pastelitos are also oh-so-good! I love how great the combination turned out! If you need more help preparing for your Thanksgiving meal, you can find recipes, tips, and of course, the necessary ingredients on Walmart.com!
What Thanksgiving desserts does your family typically eat?
All photos © Melanie Edwards/modernmami™