One of my favorite easy recipes to add to our family’s weekly menu plan (something I’m getting back to doing) is a chicken and vegetable soup that easily cooks in my Crock-Pot slow cooker. This recipe has actually gone through a few transformations, which is something I love about it. I can vary this recipe to make a simple vegetable soup, or I can add different meats (chicken or turkey sausage are what I usually use). Sometimes I also add a few noodles! This soup recipe is versatile for sure and tastes great! But, the best part is that it doesn’t take a lot of effort, whether you use a slow cooker or not. An added bonus is that it is full of vegetables, protein, and fiber, making this a pretty healthy soup for your family to enjoy!
Chicken and Vegetable Soup Recipe
*I can buy all these ingredients at my local Walmart during our regular grocery shopping trips and tend to keep them on-hand on a regular basis.
- about 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins/breasts, cubed (You can also use turkey sausage or any other preferred meat, or leave the meat out altogether.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 12 oz. bag frozen vegetables (I normally use mixed vegetables, but any variety will do.)
- 1 15.5 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (You can also use lentils for added fiber.)
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 cup water (For a thinner broth, use more water.)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken to your taste. I use adobo, meat tenderizer, and black pepper, then toss lightly to cover all sides.
- In a large pot, combine chicken and olive oil. Cook chicken on med-high heat until partly-browned. (If using a slow cooker, simply skip this step.)
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot. (If using a slow cooker, this is when you’d add the uncooked chicken along with the other ingredients.)
- Cook soup on low-medium heat for about 45 minutes or until chicken is well-cooked and broth is at desired consistency. (If using a slow cooker, let it cook on low heat for at least half of the day, ensuring the chicken is well-cooked.)
Isn’t that super easy? I love this soup recipe and though my husband is not a huge fan of soup (he never orders it when we eat out), he likes this vegetable soup in all its forms!
What is one of your family’s favorite healthful recipes?
Disclosure: As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
All photos © Melanie Edwards/modernmami™