This past week, I hosted a get-together for a few local moms and thought it would be nice for the kids to celebrate summer with their own summer party and a little backyard fun. We took advantage of my mom’s big fenced backyard and just let the kids enjoy playing outside. I let all the moms know to bring their kids along with their bathing suits and decided I’d set up play stations in the backyard. With a little help from Walmart’s summer outdoor play section, I was able to provide the kids with plenty of summer fun! Check out the fun everyone had!
Backyard Summer Fun for Kids
Browsing the summer and outdoor fun section at my local Walmart with my daughter, led us to a variety of fun items that would work great for our summer party. Our idea was to set up mini-stations in the backyard so the kids could go back and forth from each one and have a few options for playing. Here’s what we picked out:
- Bubbles (party pack): Pretty much all kids love bubbles, so this is a staple party item for me. With the party pack, the kids were able to share the bubble fun!
- Water sprinkler: Since the heat is intense even in the morning for us, a water sprinkler attached to the hose worked out perfectly to let the kids have a little water-day fun and cool off.
- Jump ropes: At only $1 a piece, I grabbed up a few jump ropes so the kids could get to jumping!
- Face paint pens: When I stumbled upon these on the shelf, I thought they would be so fun for the kids to paint each other, without the mess. They’re almost like crayons and wash off easily, so there’s no need for brushes.
- Golf play set: My baby boy has been eyeing a golf set for a while, so I thought the younger kids would have fun playing a little golf in the grass!
We combined what we bought with items we already had at home, such as frisbees, a boomerang, play balls, and a bean bag toss game. All together, we had a nice variety of games and activities for the kids to play with in the backyard. They had so much fun and the moms didn’t have to worry much about their kids, allowing them to truly enjoy the get-together and chat with one another.
How do you celebrate summer?
Disclosure: As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
All photos © Melanie Edwards/modernmami™