Happy Earth Day everyone! Today is the day that we take a moment to officially honor our planet and celebrate nature. It’s funny, my children asked me – “Shouldn’t we care about the Earth every day?” As I told them, even though it’s important to do our part to care for Earth each and every day, it’s nice to have a special day to remind us and celebrate Mother Nature! Celebrating Earth Day with our kids is a great opportunity to do just that and take advantage of the holiday to help our children learn about how we can be more environmentally conscious. Check out these fun ways to celebrate Earth Day with kids, including crafts, books, and even a couple of yummy recipes!
11 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day with Kids!
- DIY Seed Paper Hearts – Make your own heart-shaped seed paper planters for your kids to gift to friends this Earth Day weekend!
- 5 Latino Children’s Books to Celebrate Earth Day – Have fun reading with your children with these books by Latino authors and/or illustrators!
- Earth Day Hacks from DreamWorksTV’s Life Hacks for Kids – Learn how to make a Yes I Can-Can Planter, have fun creating and playing your own Rock ‘n Recycle Pizza-Tac-Toe game, and make your own Harmonious Hummingbird Feeder!
- Learn About Pachamama (Mother Earth), a goddess of the Inca culture – Blogger Latinaish provides information and a video on Pachamama. This resource is probably best reserved for older kids and teens, though you may be able to adapt parts for younger children.
- Homemade Seed Tape – Another DIY seed planter you can gift to friends and family for Earth Day or any time of the year!
- Bilingual Activities, Crafts, and More – Celebrate Earth Day with these fun bilingual activities, crafts, and more!
- Find Ways to Connect with Nature – Whether you live in an urban area or in the great outdoors, find ways to connect with nature this Earth Day.
- Explore the Outdoors with PBS – Let your kids have fun with online games, DIY ideas, coloring pages, and more from PBS Kids!
- Earth Day PB&J Lunch – Enjoy a delicious PB&J lunch with a cute Earth Day twist!
- Earth Day Yogurt Parfaits – These yogurt parfaits are simple to make and are sure to bring the fun of Earth Day to the kitchen for your kids!
- Shaving Cream Marbled Earth Day Craft – Fun and simple Earth Day kids’ craft that’s perfect for toddlers and preschoolers!
We hope you have a fun Earth Day with your family, crafting, reading, and exploring! How do you celebrate earth day with your kids?
Photo © Ruby Wright/GUBlife, used with permission